Statistical consulting is the most challenging and most rewarding part of statistics. A consultant uses the art and science of statistics to solve a practical problem. Problems come from many different fields – community development, marketing, manufacturing, public health, agriculture, or education, but many of us specialize in just a few application areas. Some consultants work at universities or public health agencies, some work in industry, and many run their own business.
Good consulting requires a strong technical background in statistics, good people skills, and for many, a good business sense. In addition, modern statistical consulting often involves distance relationships with clients and distance technology.
This remote statistical internship programme will help you develop skills that cover the whole range of the steps in the statistical consulting process: communication and managing client sessions, applying appropriate statistical techniques, interpreting results and communicating the findings in clear, non-mathematical terms. The hands-on exercises consist of real-life datasets from industry, healthcare and government. Therefore, it serves as a model for your analysis in this programme.
This programme is jointly delivered by our Statistical Consulting Center and Institute for Development Research. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply to this programme.
• Research Methodology
• Mobile Data Collection with ODK and Kobotoolbox
• Data Visualization with Excel and Tableau
• Quantitative Data Management and Analysis using SPSS, EViews, Stata, Epi Info, CSPro, R and Python
• Qualitative Data Management and Analysis With NVIVO
Communication in Consulting
• Responsibilities of Client and Consultant
• Ethics in Statistical Consulting
• Writing Technical Reports
• Project Troubleshooting
• Interaction with Industry Peers
December 31, 2023:
January 3, 2024:
Notification of successful applicants
January 3, 2024 – January 17, 2024:
• Batch enrollment of statistical interns on Microsoft Teams
• Creation of LinkedIn profile
• Familiarity tour of co-interns
January 18, 2024:
Commencement of remote internship activities
February 18, 2024:
End of programme and issuance of certificate of statistical internship/affiliation